A Brief History of Korea
Book in English with colour illustrations.
Dosoguan uses high grade Secure Socket Layer (SSL) for all transactions involving information passed between your computer and our server. SSL encrypts the data so that no-one will be able to access the data.
Delivery tracking service is available quickly and safely through TNT and you can receive your orders no matter where you live. The shipping fees are applied based on the weight of your order(s).
100% your satisfaction is important, so Dosoguan will offer you a full refund, If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase.
From the back cover:
The Korean nation was formed over a long period as ethnic groups migrated and interacted with each other in and around Manchuria and the Korean Peninsula. This is why Koreans constitute one of the oldest people in Asia and pride themselves of a long tradition and rich cultural heritage. As a peninsular state , Korea has both continental and oceanic characteristics. Its culture is a unique amalgamation of foreign influences, as its geographical location constantly exposed it to contacts with not only China, but with counties to the north, south and west of China as well.
In ancient times , Korea was a power in East Asia and once ruled much of Manchuria. The Kingdom of Goguryeo was successfull in repelling the aggression of China's Sui Dynasty and Tang Dynasty, while the Kingdom of Balhae ruled over a vast territory extending to the north as far as Siberia (Russian Maritime Territory). Throughouth history, Korea not only developed a culture that is unique and distinguished from that of China, but also transmitted many elements of its culture to Japan.
A sweeping overview of the history of Korea, this book not only covers the past (the birth and development of the ancient kingdoms, the emergence of a united State, Joseon Dynasty, Modern society), but deals the contemporary Korea in which the north - south division and confrontation still persist. The book provides a well-balanced view and lucid reading for all important facts and episodes of Korean history.
The Ancient Kingdoms
1. Characteristics of Korean History
2. The Origin of Koreans and the Early States
3. The Formation and Development of the Three Kingdoms
4. Political and Social Structures of the Three Kingdoms
The Emergence of a Unified State
1. The Birth and Development of a Unified State
2. Balhae's Dominion over Manchuria
3. Korea's Second Unification and Struggles against Mongolia
Joseon(Yi) Dynasty in Pre-modern Times
1. The Founding and Development of the Joseon Dynasty
2. The Rise of Sarim(rural Neo-Confucian literati) and Struggle
Against Foreign Intruders
3. Changes in Society and Culture of Late Joseon
The Transition toward a Modern Society
1. Efforts for Modernization and Ensuing Conflicts
2. Japan's Colonial Rule and Nationalist Movement
Modern Society : The Development of the Republic of Korea
and Pursuit of Inter-Korean Rapprochement
1. Division and Confrontation
2. The Development of the Republic of Korea
- Publication Year
- 202 g
- Ewha Womans University Press
- Shin Hyong Sik